picture

picture
picture

HTML/Java script

HTML/Java script

text

text

Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

PG&E admits to flaws in some smart meters

May 11, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
by Martin LaMonica

California utility Pacific Gas & Electric has released a report acknowledging that thousands of its smart meters have had technical problems and that its customer service has been insufficient.

The company has been the source of ire by customers in California who have complained that their utility bills went up after the two-way digital meters were installed. More than 5 million meters have been installed since 2007.

(Credit: PG&E) Prompted by customer complaints over billing accuracy, California regulators ordered PG&E to provide details of its smart-meter program.

On Monday, the utility released four years' worth of project management reports (PDF) and the results of a review that identified "issues" related to wireless communication, data storage, meter installation, and accuracy.

"We've let some of our customers down with the quality of customer service they received. While 99 percent of our SmartMeter devices are installed and working properly, we recognize that even having less than 1 percent of meters with issues is still 50,000 customers, and that's too many," Helen Burt, PG&E senior vice president and chief customer officer, said in a statement.

Burt noted that the 99 percent billing accuracy is better than traditional meters and that smart meters provide more details.

At a press conference Monday, company executives said the number of problems related to inaccurate bills could be as high as 23,000, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News.

In response to the problems, PG&E will ramp up it customer service programs, including dedicating a call center to smart meters. It will also communicate more with customers who receive a smart meter and offer information on how it can help them control energy usage, the company said.

PG&E's travails with its smart-meter program, which is about halfway through to its 10 million meter goal by 2012, are being felt throughout the utility industry.

There is concern that smart meters are being installed without giving consumers tools to take advantage of the technology or with little information about the capabilities.

In some cases, consumers can get more detailed information through a Web portal and turn off appliances with a dedicated in-home display. But in many cases, utilities are installing meters to improve automated usage reporting without providing tools to end users.

(12 Comments) prev next by ecubes May 11, 2010 6:13 AM PDT
Ironic isn't it
Like this Reply to this comment by Stormspace May 11, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

What about a credit for the over charges for the past 3 years?
Like this Reply to this comment by Been_there_Saw_it_before May 11, 2010 1:19 PM PDT

The TV Action Reporter in San Francisco did a story on a lady who had ten years of archived bills showing her nearly constant useage. Then PGE put in a digital meter and her bill went up by a factor of (as I recall) about four. Oh my, PGE said, you are using four times the power you did last month. Same activities, same appliances, same, same... Now, low and behold, the lady was right and the big bad wolf was discovered to be a big blowhard.

Now it is time for PGE to eat some crow and at least act humble when someone points out the error of their ways.

My question for them is how does the smart gas meter get its power for its radio transmitter?
Like this by Mr_fleabite May 11, 2010 7:00 AM PDT

I don't live in CA but my city started a pilot program with these meters about a year ago. My house was one of the "chosen" (oh happy day). We were told ahead of time our bill my increase due to the new meter being more accurate and the old one was, well, really old.
I've noticed my bill increase an average of 18%; however, a large portion of that is due to someone being home more often than the year prior. As the article mentioned we too aren't given any options to make use of the fancy new meter, and to top it off not everyone in the city has one yet. So, some are getting more accurate (higher) bills while others get the benefit of inaccuracy. I told myself I shouldn't be upset about this because I'm now paying for what I really used, but I may start looking more deeply into my total home's consumption.

Does anyone know of a device I can install at my breaker box to "independently" see how many kwh I'm using? I'd like to avoid rigging up the whole house with meters.
Like this Reply to this comment by p3rf3ctsp3cim3n May 11, 2010 8:40 AM PDT

Just slap this sucker on there: http://www.renewcanada.com/ez_read_ac_kwh_meter_120_240vac.html
Like this by SteveChicago May 11, 2010 10:02 AM PDT

Not to be harsh but the utility put these meters in to get more accurate billing and to stop paying people to go around and read meters. I.E. to decrease cost and increase revenue, one of the core principals of all companies.

They do not give 2 squirts about you the consumer and they sure as heck do not want to to use less product.
Like this by blueshore May 11, 2010 10:19 AM PDT

Consider a remote lecture sensor (http://www.bluelineinnovations.com/) or check if your company offers online information (either self provided or by partnerships with http://www.google.com/powermeter/about/ or http://www.microsoft-hohm.com/). p3rf3ctsp3cim3n's advise is also a good one, but it requires a certified professional to installed (not a good idea to mess with 100A).
Like this by ittesi259 May 11, 2010 10:23 AM PDT

Depending on what "really old" means changing the meter may be the sole reason.....and if that was the case it would happen even with a new traditional meter.

As a utility customer service employee I loved when people would rudely and belligerently demand meter tests because there bills were too high only to find their meters were inaccurate....in the consumer's favor. Slap a nice shiny new meter in and say have a nice day.
Like this by Mr_fleabite May 11, 2010 12:02 PM PDT

Thanks for the links, I'll look into it. (I'm a DIY guy, but I know my limitations, electricity is one of them).

@ittesi259
really old in excess of 30 years, I knew with any kind of new meter rates would likely go up.
@steve
I know they're all about maximizing profitability, but I'd argue that (in my experience) at least the linemen, or is it line-people now, give 2 squirts or more. They're are friendly and accomodating when I've needed them to remove the lines to/near my house (for residing and limbing of trees). As far as the company as a whole is concerned, I don't think they are intentionally out to get me........yet.
Like this by p3rf3ctsp3cim3n May 11, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

If I can't see that spindle going round and round and round and round, then I don't trust it. All this digital is just another way to milk the money out of consumer.
Like this Reply to this comment by jpbgmail May 11, 2010 9:09 AM PDT

Ahem ... so you sit outside your home and watch the spindle turning round and round and round ... ?

I think one issue is that this whole smart metering thing has been way over-hyped, when all it is, is a more efficient way for utilities to meter their product. I'm not justifying or trivializing the billing/metering issues PG&E is having, but all the dooms-day scenarios are just that ...

-jpb
Like this by n3td3v May 11, 2010 9:04 AM PDT
The national grid connected to the internet... let the chaos begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment